Sermon On The Mount Discussion Guide
Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honoured by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Do you have any experience of the 3 “good” reasons to give? What about the “bad” reason to give?
1. Which words or phrases stand out to you?
2. How does understanding the context of these passages help us understand its meaning?
- How could our relationship with money and materialism show up something of our hearts desire?
- Do you agree that what we do with our money is one of the quickest ways to reveal our vision for the “good life”?
- How can we build more resilience and breakdown stigma when it comes to money worries?
Scripture Reading: Here is a 90 day reading plan through all four Gospels. Download the YouVersion app and select to do this plan “with friends.” Once you invite members from your community to join you, you can all track together with the plan and save notes, questions, and comments on passages – why not take turns in adding a short commentary each day?
If you’re not there already, break into small groups and pray for what the Holy Spirit is putting on your heart. Don’t rush, but enjoy being in His presence together. Pray encouragement and blessing on one another, as you ponder what God is saying.